SIGCHI Development Fund
The SIGCHI Development Fund provides resources for the SIGCHI community to spur communication, innovation, and expansion of HCI in alignment with the SIGCHI Executive Committee’s Strategic Initiatives.
Call For Proposals
Deadline is four times a year on the following dates at 11:59 PM ET: January 14, April 15, July 15, October 14. Proposals will be submitted to the following site. If you can not access the form, please contact email@example.com.
No late proposals will be considered. Proposals that are not funded in one round have the option of addressing reviews and submitting for reconsideration in the next round.
All proposals submitted should be in support of one or more of the SIGCHI Strategic Initiatives listed here. Pay close attention to the description associated with each strategic initiative as those activities that do not directly speak to the goals outlined will not be funded.
There are many different types of activities that can be supported by this fund. In general, the activities SIGCHI prefers to support include but are not limited to the following:
- * Travel for invited speakers from SIGCHI’s community at local events.
- * Events for connecting different communities, which could be in the sense of geography, discipline or academics/industry etc.
- * Tutoring or paper writing workshops for new authors to submit to SIGCHI sponsored conferences.
- * Summer schools or mentoring activities.
- * Sending representatives (local leaders or students) from local communities to major SIGCHI events.
- * Events to promote/support diversity and inclusion at a SIGCHI sponsored conference.
- * Mechanisms to support underrepresented groups (disciplinarily or demographically) to present at a SIGCHI sponsored conference.
You can see example summaries of previously funded activities here; however please note these were in response to prior calls and/or criteria for funding – prior funding is not an indication that the same activity will be funded under this new program. If you have any questions on this please direct them to the development fund email alias: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Required Submission Material
A proposal should answer the following questions:
- Title: What is the project to be called?
- People: Who speaks for, and take responsibility for this project? Who else is on the team? What are their qualifications to do this project?
- Strategic Initiative: What strategic initiatives is it supporting and in what way? SIGCHI EC 2018-2021 Strategic Initiatives
- Schedule: When will the activity start and end?
- Relevance: What SIGCHI members is this activity relevant to?
- Goals: What will be the outcome of the project? What do you hope to affect and how could you demonstrate that effect?
- Budget & Budget Justification: What are the costs and income associated with the activity? Specify what other sources of funding you have secured or applied for. Specify which costs will be covered by the SIGCHI grant. F&A or overhead is an unallowable expense. Please use this Excel spreadsheet and upload your completed form to the submission site.
- Communicating Out: Plan for dissemination of results or activities to the SIGCHI membership and any other relevant communities.
Proposals can be submitted by any SIGCHI member. We encourage you to discuss your proposal with a member of the Executive Committee (EC) in advance, but it is not required. The current SIGCHI officers are available online here.
Each proposal submitted is reviewed by at least two SIGCHI EC members. The EC will make a final decision regarding funding the proposal and this, along with relevant feedback, will be communicated back to you. As this process may take about a month, we suggest submitting your proposal at least three months before the funds are needed.
The absolute criteria for funding are:
- Organizing Committee: relevant experience to signify success and a team with complimentary skills. We expect proposals to come from members of the SIGCHI community (rather than to be proposed by member of the SIGCHI executive committee or conference leadership).
- Explanation of Need: Directly address a SIGCHI EC Strategic Initiative; project must be relevant to and provide value to SIGCHI members.
- Soundness of Plan: There is a well defined and explained schedule/plan and clearly defined outcomes; the funding is for a single activity, although the activity can take place over an extended time period; there is a plan for sharing results to the SIGCHI members and any other relevant communities.
- Soundness of Budget: clearly defined and suitable budget, plan for other sponsors is applicable.
Guidelines Regarding Funding
If you are awarded a SIGCHI Development Fund grant you should be aware of this guidance on allowable costs, reimbursements, and any use of travel grants.
SIGCHI Development funding will not pay for labor cost of ACM and/or SIGCHI members.
SIGCHI Development Funding discourages the purchase of equipment. If, however, equipment is absolutely required and cannot be provided by others there must be a plan for returning equipment, as directed, to the control of the SIGCHI Executive Committee.
Awarded proposals are only for the time period specified in the proposal – if there is a significant deviation in the time period of the activity, then you must request an extension and requests cannot be guaranteed.
Invoices for large purchases or contracts can be sent to the ACM for direct payment. The ACM also has a form for reimbursements of smaller costs incurred by the organizers.
Travel grants are managed through an online system which will be set up with the proposal contact. The proposal contact will enter a list of recipients including their emails and the amount awarded. When finalized, emails with the appropriate form will go out to the travel grant recipient to fill out and return with receipts.
ACM accepts scanned copies of receipts, or originals via mail or courier if the person prefers. Receipts are required for all expenses $25 and over. ACM can process payment for checks or wire transfers. Please note that if you reside in the United States, only a check will be processed for the reimbursement. Payment can be received between 2-3 weeks depending on the form of payment.
It is important to note that all financial claims are guided by our SIGCHI Volunteer Reimbursement Policy and ACM policies on what can be claimed and how.