SIGCHI Award Nominations Process
NOMINATIONS FOR AWARDS TO BE PRESENTED AT CHI 2018 ARE DUE:
EXTENDED DEADLINE => NOVEMBER 29, 2017 (20:00 EDT)
Changes for this year
The nomination process is slightly changed starting this year. The selection subcommittees are now public, and there is a required nomination process. We welcome and encourage numerous nominations – but informal lobbying of committee members is not allowed. Nominations are rolled over from year to year, but since this year’s process is slightly different, we encourage new nominations to be submitted for all candidates.
Nominations must include:
The Outstanding Dissertation Award follows a special process. All other SIGCHI award nominations must include the following:
- a brief summary (maximum one page, preferably a PDF) of how the nominee meets the criteria for the award;
- the nominee’s CV;
- Name and contact information of the nominator
- Names and contact information of two people who are knowledgeable about the qualifications of and endorse the nominee (nothing is required by the endorser beyond their agreement that the nominee deserves the award).
Nominations and queries should be submitted as follows:
NOTE: There is no ‘s’ at the end of ‘award’ in the following email addresses.
- General questions: sigchi-ac-award at acm.org
- Nominations – SIGCHI Lifetime Research Award: sigchi-resprac-award at acm.org
- Nominations – SIGCHI Lifetime Practice Award: sigchi-resprac-award at acm.org
- Nominations – SIGCHI Lifetime Social Impact Award: sigchi-socimp-award at acm.org
- Nominations – SIGCHI Lifetime Service Award: sigchi-service-award at acm.org
- Nominations – SIGCHI Outstanding Dissertation Award: sigchi-dissert-award at acm.org
- Nominations – SIGCHI Special Recognition Award: sigchi-resprac-award at acm.org
- Nominations – CHI Academy: sigchi-resprac-award at acm.org
About the Awards Committees and the Decision Process
The SIGCHI awards are overseen by the SIGCHI Adjunct Chair for Awards, currently Ben Bederson. The awardees are selected from the nominations by the following committees that are appointed by the SIGCHI Executive Committee.
- The SIGCHI Research and Practice Awards subcommittee selects the recipients of the SIGCHI Lifetime Research Award, the SIGCHI Lifetime Practice Award, the SIGCHI Special Recognition Award, and elects individuals to the CHI Academy.
- The SIGCHI Social Impact Award subcommittee selects the recipient of the SIGCHI Social Impact Award.
- The SIGCHI Service Award subcommittee selects the recipient of the SIGCHI Lifetime Service Award.
- The SIGCHI Outstanding Dissertation Award subcommittee selects the recipient(s) of the Outstanding Dissertation Awards.
We follow the ACM awards committee conflict of interest process. Additionally, SIGCHI EC members are not eligible for awards (except for past presidents, who are). In practice, this means that the listed EC members from President through Vice President for Operations, as well as the Adjunct Chair for Awards are not eligible. Also note that subcommittee members are eligible for awards from other subcommittees.